CP Snow’s discussion of two cultures reflects my thoughts and struggles on my experience at UCLA. I am a Bioengineering major and often spend my days in a stroke research lab or doing work for a biopharmaceutical company. I am labeled by the building titled: “Engineering”. 

School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Building (Wikipedia)

My days are filled with technical calculations, medical device studies, lab protocols, and scientific analysis where talks with peers are focused on the stresses of midterms. However, at night I come home to a completely different conversation. My roommates include dance, world arts and cultures, American Indian studies, political science, and design majors. Conversations are centered around social disparities, our political climate, issues with the education system, traveling the world, and the beauty of different cultures.  Similar to CP Snow, I feel like I am moving between two groups. The difference did not just come from the material being taught but even in the teaching methodology. In my engineering courses, I am encouraged to find solutions to medical issues backed by calculations and biology from textbooks. In my classes through the World Arts and Cultures (WAC) department, I was encouraged to meditate, understand different points of views, and challenge textbooks and my existing beliefs. This stark contrast is simply reflected in the structure of the classrooms as well where there is more of a fostering of collaboration in WAC.

Typical classroom structure in UCLA engineering courses (Wikipedia)
Classroom structure in UCLA World Arts and Cultures class (Pinterest)

This lack of understanding between groups is something I struggle with since with both exposures, I see the strong need for overlap. Through my experience with the scientific community, I see the need to understand cultural and societal impact, especially in the medical world where our products directly impact people’s daily life. It was eye-opening to learn that our education system is what plays a major role in this divide from Vesna’s lecture and the RSA animation. I agree with Vesna’s point of view that the bridge to mend this gap is of both privilege, as it can open the door to creativity, innovation, and a deeper understanding, and of danger, as this lack of understanding, lingering stereotypes, and misappreciation could lead to a further divide.

References:

Kelly, Kevin. "The Third Culture" Science 13 February 1998: Vol. 279 no. 5353 pp. 992-993. Web.

The RSA. “RSA ANIMATE: Changing Education Paradigms.” Online video clip. YouTube. YouTube, 14 October 2010. Web. 09 April 2017.

Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.

UC Online Program. “Two Cultures Part 3.” Online video clip. YouTube. YouTube, 02 April 2012. Web. 09 April 2017.


Vesna, Victoria. “Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between.” Leonardo 34.2 (2001): 121-25. Web.

Comments

  1. Nice post Ragini! This was very well written and insightful. I'm glad you are constantly intellectually stimulated. I look forward to reading more posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ragini, this post was really insightful. I love the beginning where you describe the distinction between the two cultures and how you find them to be important.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7: Neurosci + Art